Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Our Pal at PAL

In our last post we highlighted one of our partner agencies, Parenting Assistance Line (PAL). Valerie Thorington is the Assistant Director of Child Development Resources at the University of Alabama, the home of PAL. She has a passion for helping parents and children and provides call center guidance for Help Me Grow Alabama’s implementation. Let’s hear it from her perspective…


Working in the field of Child Development and Family Studies in various states for over 35 years, I have continued to see a growing need to support parents and families, not only with information and tools, but to “walk alongside” each other with encouragement and validation. Children’s lives and futures depend on it! PAL serves as a strong, viable prevention technique believing that families benefit when parents understand child development and the skills needed for effective parenting. As parents anticipate children’s milestones, we can help parents guide their children through developmental stages more confidently and more successfully. Parents feel less stressed, more capable, less isolated, and better able to cope as they have the opportunity to talk through their specific parenting situation or concern.

I think some of the parents of the 13,000 calls received say it best:
- “Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I feel better and think I have a plan of action now. I just felt so lost and did not know where to turn.” 
- “I wasn’t sure how to handle the situation with my son but you have provided me with several ideas I’m going to try. I really had no idea how complicated parenting can be!”
- “I have been calling PAL since my son was born 4 years ago. Whenever I call with a problem, you help me figure it out. Thank you!” 

I have worked with Child Development Resources for 14 years and part of my responsibilities have been providing daily oversight of PAL since it began in 2007. PAL can be reached at 1-866-962-3030. Free brochures and magnets are available to share with families and/or colleagues by calling or contacting PAL through the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment